I'm on a project outside of Detroit...way too far from Detroit. I won't mention the city name because you won't recognize it anyway. Let's just say taking a trip into the deep Midwest is like being in a time machine. I'm waiting for someone to ask me if I wanna go see 'The Goonies' or 'Beverly Hills Cop' this weekend. The fashion sense, slang, and buildings are all reminiscent of the 80's. I think I saw somebody with a Thriller jacket on at Red Lobster last night. I know I see one of those catwoman-like patchy black leather jackets right behind me...CLASSIC. The only thing that would make this a perfect 80's haven would be the venetian blind sunglasses and/or any article of clothing from the 'Members Only' line.Let's talk about the restaurant selection. You have the only sub-par Chinese food restaurant, Garfield's (TGI Friday's for the small town), Applebee's, Frickin's (A wing joint), Salsarita (Mexican), Red Lobster, and your run of the mill fast food joints (Mickey D's, KFC, maybe a Taco Bell...I haven't spotted one). After getting used to Chicago Style Pizza/Hot Dogs, Phillies, Thai, and whatever else pretty much being on tap, I'm in a sad sad place. I can't forget to mention that the nearest Marriott is an hour away. I'm staying at the jankiest Holiday Inn Express ever erected. The "Fitness Center" consists of a scale, two treadmills and one bike. The preffered member bag is all the rage too, much better than anything Paris Hilton ever got at an awards show. It consists of a classy brown paper bag stapled shut with an 8 oz bottle of water and a granola bar.
I won't complain too much. I could be in Idaho, Montana, either of the Dakotas, New Hampshire, BFE Pennsylvania...it could always be worse. At least I'm more mildly entertained than upset. While I'm snappin on that treadmill, I been doin work on it since I got here. A set of dumbbells would be nice though. So would a squeaky clean shower head in this hotel room.

2 comments:
this reminds me of when i realized that napoleon dynamite was actually real...like people STILL live like that...
wow. at least this balances out with all the other wonderful travel experiences you've had.
Post a Comment