Monday, May 7, 2007

My Lip Gloss Be Poppin'

Wow! I'm in shock that this passes as entertainment, international entertainment at that. I guess this means I should start publishing the songs I make up in the shower or when I'm just tooling around the house. I mean, I know that people are supposed to express themselves as it comes to them, freedom of speech, and all that good stuff. What I don't get is how there is such a lack of lyricism and/or meaningful material to write about that a song about lip gloss written by a girl in high school can get so much airtime on the radio.

When I first heard about this song, I thought it was a well-conceived joke my friends were playing on me because I never listen to the radio. Lo and behold, I'm flipping through the channels one day, and there this girl is on MTV telling the story of how she got a record deal with JIVE. Can you believe that?!?! Maybe it's just a generational thing. I mean, JIVE did put out The Fresh Prince's album, E-40, and A Tribe Called Quest. Not everyone likes them, but I still can't get past it.

I don't think this is offensive. Nothin' like when I heard the real hook for 'Throw Some D's on It':
Rich Boy sellin' crack
F*%k n!@$^s wanna jack
S&%t tight no slack
Just bought a Cadillac (THROW SOME D'S ON THAT B!?&H!)
Just bought a Cadillac (THROW SOME D'S ON THAT B!?&H!)
Just bought a Cadillac
That was just downright upsetting. I can't imagine my nephew or niece singing this song, probably because that daydream would end with my belt coming off. But that's neither here nor there. I wonder what else this girl has to rap/sing about other than lip gloss. Tennis shoes? Math tests? The new boy in gym class? Maybe it would be in Radio One's interest to have a station for tweens. I mean, I just personally don't want to hear stuff like that on the radio which is why me and the iPod are tight like spandex.

I made up a song just the other day I think I should be able to get published. Here's the hook. Tell me what you think.

I just graduated
I got myself a job
Damn! I'm elated
I'm never gonna starve

I got myself a masters
Plus the BS
I'm not surprised I lasted
I did more than pass the test

3 comments:

jendayi said...

Amen brother!

A station for tweens.. I think that would be perfect. A great idea in fact. Why hasn't someone thought of that?

B.m.W said...

Yeah, if I had any connec's in the radio business, I'd pseudo-pitch the idea to them. There's a major void between genres as far as radio is concerned.

I think they fall short by feeling like they need a radio personality to be there 24/7. Cut out the middle man, and just play the music and commercials.

jendayi said...

I JUST saw the video and heard the song for the first time! (I'm at home waiting for Rihanna to come on 106.) AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

My lip gloss is poppin! My lip gloss is cool!